Tuesday, October 30, 2012



I have chosen to go to college for many reasons. In order for me to do the job I want to do for the rest of my life I have to have a degree for it. The higher the degree I have in my field, the more money I can make in a year. I've also heard from many people, including family and close family friends, that college is one of the best experiences they have ever had. College isn't for some people, and there are other ways to get a well paying job without having a college degree, like knowing how to do a trade. In fact, if you already know what you want to do and it doesn't require going to college to do it, don't go. Today everyone makes it sound like you have to go no matter what, and that isn't true. I even grew up knowing I was going to college; it wasn't a choice, just the next step in life. I don't know how to do a trade and I've found my calling so I knew I was suppose to go to college anyway.

 My calling in life is to be a Geriatric Nurse, which means being a nurse for elderly people. There is no way for me to do what I have wanted to do for two years now without having the college degree that classifies me for it. When my grandaddy was sick, I was in the hospital everyday for three months and could see myself doing all of the different jobs nurses do. The rewards of getting to help save someone's life or make their last moments comfortable for them would be an honor to me. I specifically chose geriatrics because of how much respect I have for the elderly. I chose Jacksonville State because of the fantastic nursing program their known for having. I can not wait for someday being able to do what I know I would love to do.

 Going to college costs A LOT of money. Some people have to pay for all of it out of pocket or pay back loans to the government to go to college and don't even get the job they wanted when they get out. Very few are lucky enough to have their college completely paid for by scholarship, grants, or a family that can easily afford it and get the job they've wanted. In the end, for some people, it's worth it because it helps you get the job you wanted to be qualified to get. Being able to have a job can help pay for retirement, a comfortable living, and even help support a family; however, going to college and getting a degree doesn't promise that any of this will happen immediately or even soon. Some people wind up having to settle for lesser jobs until they can get up to what they want. I want to be able to live comfortably and never have to worry very much about money. I also would like to have so much money saved up by the time I die that my children and grandchildren won't have to worry about much in their lives either. I know it will be many years before I can do this. My mom always had to worry about money for me, and I made a goal to be able to help her and everyone after me that I can. It means a lot to me to have my family taken care of.

 Another thing about college that made me want to do it was to be a part of an organization of some kind. I considered doing a sorority and then tried out for the Marching Southerners earlier this summer and got accepted into the 2012 flute line.


It is without a doubt the best thing I have done so far. The family in my section and throughout the whole band isn't like any other organization on campus. It takes so much work to be a part of the Southerners. The reputation we have makes me so proud to be a part of the 402 people in the band and on the field. Because I didn't get a scholarship for band, I don't have to take a musical class or be in another type of ensemble next semester. I can just do marching band and not lose any money for my other classes. At first when I chose to go to college and be in band, I wanted to do some type of concert band next semester, but now that I see how much work it is and what little time I have to do things outside of school, I'm actually relieved I don't have to worry about another class to take up my time. Band makes me have a fourteen hour load. It's hard for me to believe that I almost didn't even do the Marching Southerners this year. It's what I have loved most about college so far this year.

 All of my life I was pretty sheltered and over protected. My mom always worried constantly about where I was, what I do was doing, and who I was with. Sadly one of my big reasons for choosing to go to college and living on campus, even though I didn't have to, was because I got to be on my own (for the most part.) I don't have to check in with my mom all the time or tell her everywhere I'm going everyday. It's nice to have a taste of all of the freedom. The location is perfect too. I'm from a small town named Odenville northeast of Birmingham.

 It's far enough from where I live to really feel like I've left the nest, but not so far I can't run home for something I need to or if I'm sick. It's already proven to be very convenient. I enjoy the laid back feeling college has and the fact everyone is here for the same thing. They're here to get an education. For the most part the people that go to college actually care about school. It's too much money to blow to flunk out or slide by grade wise. The atmosphere of the classrooms, the professors I have, and the ability to plan my own schedule really appealed to me. I like Jacksonville State University, and I'm glad I chose to go to college here.

1 comment:

  1. I think you have a very noble calling in life! I like that you included a discussion of the financial burden of a college education and I think you did an excellent job of arguing why, if college is right for you, the burden is worth it. I also loved your last paragraph and your description of JSU. I'm thankful every day that I get to work here because of the beautiful campus and the atmosphere: everyone really is like one big family and there is more of an emphasis on learning and community involvement. I would rather teach here than a big, rich, prestigious university any day!

    ReplyDelete